Sunday, February 11, 2007

Kampala

My bus broke down twice, I was harrassed, hassled, confused, scared and I sat on that dingy bus, the only white face in a sea of black, for 18 hours. I was jostled and rattled over the worst roads in the world, if you can even call them roads! I have pictures to post soon. My entire body aches today from the rough ride and I can barely move my neck.

I arrived in Kampala, in the middle of the night, alone and scared and luckily made my way to Chris and Chelsea. This is all a trifle more overwhelming than I had expected and I have another bus ride that is only supposed to be 10 hours (just like the last one) to get to Kigali tomorrow. I ended up having to take Akamba bus lines and I got myself on th elocal bus for only 1400 shillings rather than the tourist bus for 2200 shillings by complete accident. The guy thought I was a Kenyan and in fact put that down on my ticket.

This is intense. I can do this. Please will someone tell me I can do this. I am trying desperately to get a phone today. I am sitting here on the verge of tears just thinking about you all in a dark little internet cafe in downtown Kampala by myself.

I am OK right now, right now I am OK.