Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bon Anne

On New Years day a baby's cries were heard from the garden. A child of less than 3 years was left at the orphanage by some desparate guardian that could not take care of her. They named her 'Happy Year'. You would never suspect her of being an abandoned child now. She perpetually smiles and fills your heart with warmth just by crawling into your lap and looking up at you with her big sweet eyes. The other day she, Dion and Jean Pierre had jiggers. These are awful little beetle looking things that burrow into uncovered feet (when they are microscopic ) and grow by eating the flesh. When they grow big enough to be seen, they hurt and have to be dug out. You have to be sure to pull out everything including the legs or further infection can spread and be very dangerous. The nuns seem to know what they are doing as far as removal but they are extremely rough about it and Bon Anne was particularly frightened of Sister Dia. I thought it would be good experience to try my hand at it but I was nothing short of shocked by my subsequent weakness. I am far too emotional, dare I say 'girly' to handle such things again. Cutting into the skin, and fully removing the pus and body of the jigger was so difficult, I can hardly describe it to you. She must have understood what I was doing but seeing the tears run down her dusty cheeks and knowing that I was causing the pain that brought her silent flood made me feel sick, light headed and overcome with sadness. Martin, I hope you have had some experience with hurting people before you go spend the next 4 years of your life in med school. I did not think I would be nearly as affected as I was. Could I learn to control that? I don't know.

OK- I have less than 2 minutes of internet left. I will write another story next time.