Friday, January 12, 2007

HELP! *updated*



So my children need not just love but also ANY supplies I can get my hands on. If you have anything on this list that you would like to donate, I can print up a tax receipt for you. I also need help with the shipping cost. I am going to the local navy bases to see if there is any way I can get my supplies on one of the military vessels at least to a coastal city in East Africa but otherwise, Canada Post wants $160.18 for a light weight 2 foot by 2 foot by 1 foot box! I appreciate anything you can donate. Medical supplies are DESPERATELY NEEDED AND INVALUABLE TO THESE KIDS. PS- pass this blogspot around to your friends and family- the more interest and help the better!

I removed the items that I have been able to gather, with the generous support of my contributors.

The most important things are in bold.
Things I have a little of are italicized.

Orphanage Program:
  • Vitamins I have bought some (Thanks Lauren!) but need more
  • Calcium tablets
  • Scabies Medicine- over the counter!
  • Multivitamins (syrup more than tablets) especially for babies
  • Powder formula (for babies that have lost their mothers)
  • Pablum (especially if enriched)
  • Comfort items for children: teddies, soothers, blankies, bottles...
  • Antibiotics, antiseptics
  • First Aid materials: gauze, plasters (elastoplast, not band-aid)
  • Wart treatment
  • Head lice treatment (for the kids and for myself)
  • Nit combs (almost all children have their heads shaved, only the very rich have money for hair)
  • Any books and/or research on health care relevant to Africa
  • First aid materials for teaching
  • Antibacterial soaps or sprays
  • Children's clothing
  • Art supplies
  • A cassette player, plenty of batteries and some children's music
  • Notebooks
  • Colored drawing paper
  • Pencils/Pens/Markers/Crayons
  • Blank Flash Cards
  • Books of all sorts, coloring books, basic reading books, school text book (the school have very few of these) etc.
  • Colored pavement chalk
  • Kids scissors
  • Magazine pictures of everyday objects or words mounted on cardboard. These can be used as flash cards. Glossy magazines are extremely rare here and go over really well with everyone.
  • Stickers
  • Resource text books that may be left behind for the teachers and students' use
Murakoze and Mwirirwe!!